Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Welcome - Read this First

This is a blog about the computer game Dwarf Fortress.

Dwarf Fortress is a game made by Tarn Adams (Toady) and his brother Zach. Dwarf Fortress is a simulation game where the player is responsible for the management of an entire dwarven civilization. You start off with a small colony, and, hopefully, end up with a thriving city that even the Dwarven King calls home. It's incredibly complex and detailed. Once you've gotten past the horrible interface and graphics, it's one of the greatest games I've ever played.

The graphics are actually worse than this. Significantly worse.


The mantra of Dwarf Fortress players is "Losing is Fun." There is no win condition in this game: you literally play until you lose your fort, or you grow bored and abandon it. I rarely last long enough to get bored with a fort. Losing is inevitable. How I get there is half the fun!

This blog will act as a journal of sorts of my fortresses, of their rises and falls. I'll update it periodically when I feel I have something interesting to say about the fortress. I'm always interested in looking at other people's designs, and thought this would be an interesting way to share my own.  It's been a while since I've played, so I'll have to learn a bit as I go, too. I don't intend for this blog to be a tutorial, and I don't plan on explaining every little thing as I go along, but I do mean to write it so it can be followed by non players as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment